Friday, August 12, 2005

Part 2: Becoming Mr. Night Owl

I suppose I should be honest here in elaborating that the "incident" I mention in my previous post is caused by yours truly. I was in college and perform poorly that I have only two options left which are re-enter or retire. By re-enter, it means I would enroll in the college again as a freshman with new student ID and start again with a clean records. And I do not think I need to explain what does retire means...

Needless to say I am in a bit if a jam since my mom told me that she won't pay for my tuition fees anymore since it seems that I do not pay enough attention in college. Back then I tried, although not my best since I am not good at reviewing the lesson by myself, but I thought it would be a bit of a breeze getting through college but then it prove me otherwise...

With that declaration from my mom, I need a job to pay for my tuition fees. So I went to see my supervisor of my summer trainee jobs (I did not work there at that time), told him of my predicament and ask him for a job, he said he will see what he can do and come back to see him in few days. He did came through and the result is the job that I have been doing for the last 8 years and still do until present time.

The job involve doing backup and execute reports on Oracle database system. I could not explain much of what I did since they did not explain much to me either and it has been imply that it is best that this is only need to know basis situations. And if u wondered why I name this post with the above title here is the explanation. The job is nightshift, which is perfect for my situation, since I could study in the day time (more like afternoon however :)) , came home for a nap and then off to work in the evening and still have enough hours of sleep.

In retrospect, if it was vice versa, work in the day and study nightshift instead, it would be a lot harder for me to cope with. Since my nighttime work is not 8 hours shift but rather depend on the amount of input data during the day which will dictate the time needed to spend on processing it the hours were somewhat varies from day to day.

The result? For five years, I tend to spend my free time sleeping or staying home and not going out much other than movie (Went alone though) and occasional bar trip (arrive 20:00-21:00 and leave around midnight) . My social life depends on the fact that I discovered internet at my college and I also found IRC which connected me to other gay people on the net and from that have got a few long lasting friends.

All in all the job has convert my time into becoming a night owl or rather an Afternoon person. And the best waking up is to wake up by myself and not by alarm clock :)

2 comments:

savante said...

You have friends now!

:) Paul

Petie said...

Thank you :)