Saturday, January 06, 2007

Still in Limbo

The *Business* with MD that I mention in several of my previous post, is still not taking off just yet.

The Business is to *outsource* the work (Internet related) from clients he got (five so far...) in New York to BKK to have it done here at much cheaper cost. The initial plans was for me to learn the process and do the work myself. The *work* divided into two parts. The easy part is the starting point and have about 25% significant of whether we will get the result. This part I understood quite well and I think I can do it. However, the other 75% significant fall onto the hard parts, which I have the understanding of how it is done but do not have the exact know-how of it. I am not sure whether MD understand all this... He kept saying he can do this easily but he did not have the time to read the texts. From what he said I think he seems to think that the entire work consist only of the 25% part....

I started by searching on Google to looks for local service company. When I give him their quote he freaks out that I use Google to search, saying he could have done that himself. He would not hear it when I told him that since this is search engine related service, it is wise to look for the company that can proof itself by making their own website appear when search. And then any local companies I found are either charge too high or lack of sufficient guaranteed than those that he had found in US. Personally I think got mixed up with the pricing... He seems to quote from the different but similar service...

After weeks of hair pulling talk on chat program, we finally agreed that since we are only amateur, we should hired a pro to handle the task. MD prefer to hired a Part-time specialist to work at my place so I can learn the process from. I had some doubts about this plan... I had found two local webboards where the experts gathered and I had post in both webboards looking for *Teacher* for this subject. One got no response at all while several people in another board said I should spend the budget on books and trial and error instead.

I would prefer to hired a company to handle the task, even just for this first client who already sign up for the service since I would have little time to supervise and learning due to my 12 hours night shift. Now we still did not have someone to work on the project yet!!

When I agreed on the hiring a person plan and got him the classified ads price quote, MD then nitpick on how I did not read the newspapers that I had called for price quote for evaluation. He would not hear it when I told him that there were only a few well known newspaper with classified ads in it and that I know the looks of these papers and that we do not have tech oriented newspaper here.

I kept asking him which one would he prefer, the Thai language daily news newspaper or English language business newspaper. He just reply with some remarks of how I didn't really agreed with this hiring plan or how lazy I was for not reading the papers or how I spend little time to do research for company or personals. And he kept blaming me for the predicament we are currently in, although there was some truth to that, him repeating it does not really help improving our situation either.

Another annoying thing is that he kept saying that the services in Thailand should be 10 times cheaper than in New York and that would also be the case for this business too. Without regarding the fact that this service is involve around Internet and the cost generated from that does not care which country you are in. And when I failed to find the company that charge low enough to his liking he kept mocking me about that...

According to a long time friend of mine whom I rant with on this situation, he think MD is a disrespectful pusher who is taking advantage of my good nature. That reminded me of the conversation I had with MD about how he criticise me for being too *Westernized* because I was opinionated and more or less did not obediently do whatever he wants.

So on Monday morning I will finalize the ads myself. It would not put a great dent in my wallet and maybe I will be prove wrong. Maybe I will be able to find some capable person to work for me.

No comments: