Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Day Nine (Sort of) - Sunday: Heading Back Home

Woke up early to catch my flight. Take a shower, brush my teeth, and then finish the last packing.

Then, I went down to the kitchen, take out the box of Grace's spaghetti bolognese and heat it in the microwave. I tried to finish it as quick as possible, it would take me one and half hour to get to the airport.

The B&B owner woke up while I was eating in the living room and eventually see me off at the door. He is a kind, entertaining, and gracious host. I would definitely stay there when I went to London again.

The trip to the airport was uneventful, which was nice. Then I return the oyster card, the officer manning the booth recognise from the info on the card that I purchase the card from that very booth :) While I was in the queue, I noticed a family behind me thinking about buying a london map from the vending machine. So I open my backpack and offer them my London guide that I took from the office. I think they appreciate my gesture :)

The line was quite long for Qatar air, but the it move smoothly. The counter staff seems to initially mess up my ticket somehow and it took her a while to correct it. I think I waited there for like 20 minutes before she finish. By that time, she said I have to went into the terminal right away.

I went up the escalator, empty my water bottle, refilled it a bit with cold water from the water station, to ready myself for the security check. I misjudge the queue and it might have took me 15 minutes before I was cleared. I almost ran out of time to get to my gate and only have a bit of time to quickly browse through the crowded duty free shopping/waiting area. Unluckily my gate is at a far end of the terminal. I have to walk quickly and dash to the the gate. I only arrived at the gate for not more than 15 minutes before they open it for us to board the plane.

The plane had to wait like 30 minutes for it's turn to take off. Other than that it was a uneventful flight. Too bad that the movies in the flight entertainment system was the same as my previous flight. The food were still ok but not as good, since it was more of a snack meal.

When we arrived at Qatar airport, it was another 15 minutes for the security check. By the time I came through, there was literally no time to do anything else but went to the gate. I did not have to wait long for the shuttle bus to come and take us to the plane.

Once on the plane, a woman had asked me to move to swap seat so her brother can sit with her. It was another aisle seat but at the rim, so I did not mind. It was the decision that I would rather regret.

The flight was, again, uneventful. Except when it was time for the morning meal. They ran out of chicken pasta set so I have to settle for the beef musamun (a Thai food) instead. Had I not accept to change my seat, which was more toward the middle of the plane, I would have had the pasta... This is what I got for being nice to strangers :(.

The landing and the entry went smoothly. The taxi ride home was smooth, but I was horrified by the fare. It was about 300s baht excluding the 50 baht charge.

I arrived home safely in the morning, unpack, shower, and get back to my own routine.

Retrospect post will come later.

No comments: